![]() |
| Mortar & Milk - SW6 |
OK - I know. Erm where have you been Caroline? I know it may seem like I've slipped off the face of the Earth but I'm honestly here - just working a lot in the background with my gorgeous clients, amazing brands and rebuilding this site from the bottom up.
I want this blog to become a further real resource for you, the readers, and in some small part, to the industry also. I would really like to take the opportunity to bridge the sometimes wide gap between the clinical/spa world and beauty retail. The two don't always connect, but there are amazing brands in the clinical world that can get left behind because they aren't available on the high street. That's a crime. I can't bear to see people spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on products that I know for a fact aren't as efficacious as some clinical brands. (I mean if you love them, can afford them, and want to, that's wonderful, obviously.)
The new site will have some new permanent content, including 'Where to go for Facials' in your local area and 'Where to Shop' - and this is where you come in. I would love it if you commented saying where you love to shop - and I mean worldwide, not just the UK, and if you go for facials, where do you go and what is so good about them? I'm not going to lie, it will also give me some good ideas for pop-ups away from London. ;)
The original content of the site will remain as it is, and will continue, this is just added information. Reviews, cheat sheets etc will all still be what keeps the blog the blog.
So if you have a brilliant facialist, or if you are a brilliant facialist, let me know in the comments. And if you know of some beautiful 'crown jewels' when it comes to beauty locations, let me know! I will leave all the comments up once posted, but will then transfer really popular suggestions to the main page for ease.
The first new 'Where to go for Facials" page is up and ready here: carolinehirons.com/where-to-go-for-facials - please do hit me up with outside London recommendations!
*Please note: I only intend to publish real customer recommendations. I'm not interested in any brands peddling their wares on this page thanks chaps.

Hi Caroline,
ReplyDeleteI've just moved to NYC (excuse the humble brag) and I'm not sure if it's the air/water/the ridiculous amount of humans squished on an island but my skin has gone CRAY. Any NYC facialist recommendations? From you or fellow readers?
Thank you and happy friday!
Sophie
PS you once liked my reply to a tweet about Hamilton and my two fan girl worlds collided.
Hi Sophie,
DeleteI go to Hannah at Christine Chin downtown. It's definitely a no-frills facial but she does the most amazing extractions and really deep cleans EVERYTHING. It hurts like hell but three days later, your skin looks amazing. For more luxurious facials I've heard Tracie Martyn and Joanna Vargas are great.
Hope this helps!
Morgana
Hi Sophie,
DeleteI go to Hannah at Christine Chin downtown. It's definitely a no-frills facial but she does the most amazing extractions and really deep cleans EVERYTHING. It hurts like hell but three days later, your skin looks amazing. For more luxurious facials I've heard Tracie Martyn and Joanna Vargas are great.
Hope this helps!
Morgana
Rec for both you and Caroline: Heyday (www.thinkheyday.com) is a facial shop that only does facials! Their whole thing is "taking the facial out of the spa" and making it more accessible. I've seen both Alexandra and Jenna and loved both of them, and a friend recommends Liane.
DeleteIt's thanks to reading this blog that I realized facials could and should be a regular part of my skincare routine, and it's thanks to heyday that I've been able to make that a reality :)
Give me Joanna Vargas any time of day !
DeleteThank you so much everyone! Definitely in need of some professional hands on this face ha.
DeleteI have been to heyday once, might go back and request one of your recommendations.
Clarins, Debenhams Dundee, Jenny is amazing, their Pro Active Facial treatment includes foot and hand massage, Clarins products are lovely, this whole treatment lasts over an hour and takes me to another level of relaxation, highly recommend this treatment.
ReplyDeleteHey fellow Dundonian! I've also heard great things about the clarins spa in debs but have never been!
DeleteI know you are working hard, but are you having FUN getting people into proper shape?
ReplyDeleteOooohhhh, that sounds amazing! I hope we'll get some awesome recommendations all over the world, great idea. Keep up the good work, Caroline!
ReplyDeleteVery exciting news! I like Yurga Kors for a good, clinically oriented facial in NYC. Also like Isabelle Bellis on occasion for more natural-ish, french vibe with lots of massage. Isabelle is uber-expensive, Yurga is normal expensive.
ReplyDeleteHi,Caroline-I'm from Zagreb,Croatia & only one whom I trust with my face & I can not recommend her more is Ms.Sanja from Dermacare!
ReplyDeleteHello Caroline love all you recommendations . Could you possibly recommend where to go for facials in the Grimsby area or Humberside? . Thank you . I buy most of your products in your blog and loving the recent cult beauty box. Xxxxx
ReplyDeleteHello Caroline love all you recommendations . Could you possibly recommend where to go for facials in the Grimsby area or Humberside? . Thank you . I buy most of your products in your blog and loving the recent cult beauty box. Xxxxx
ReplyDeleteAny suggestions for ur Irish readers??
ReplyDeleteRenaissance beauty in Howth is great
DeleteProvince Apothecary in Toronto - their treatments and products are absolutely beyond, particularly their cleansing oil and their face balm. Beautiful brand all round TBH
ReplyDeleteHi Caroline I go to see Laura at Deborah Louise in Street,Somerset.she's passionate about beauty doesn't hard sell you leave there feeling a million dollars
ReplyDeleteIn Copenhagen, Denmark: pharmacy for the French stuff, Matas for the cheap stuff and Pure Shop in grønnegade for The Tata.
ReplyDeleteBut there are many things I can only get online (serozinc �� ). I will be hitting spaceNK in Dublin on my vacation for some Sunday Riley goodness.
Any suggestions for Northern Ireland Belfast and surrounding area. Thank you
ReplyDeleteHello from Ohio! The best, meaning five star ratings, is Square One Salon and Spa with locations in Dayton, Centerville, and Columbus. Facials, massages, hair styling and coloring, manicures and pedicures. I have been a customer or 11 years. Excellence in customer care and the highest standards in performing services.
ReplyDeleteI live in Australia in a rural area so I get my skincare products from Priceline- they always have sales and stock brands such as triology, indeed labs, la roche posay. Myer- a department store, although where I live they don't stock as many brands as they do in major cities but good for Clarins, estee lauder, Clinique. Online shops adorebeauty.com.au and mecca.com.au. Adore beauty have the cheapest prices I have seen online and they are official stockists for the brands they carry, good customer service and delivery, have sales and deals quite regularly too, alpha-h, clarins, skinCeuticals. Mecca is pretty pricey, they never have sales and can mark up prices considerably compared to the rest of the world but their legitimate (they are actually beauty stores around the country but 3 hours away from where I live), good customer service, good delivery and carry brands such as Colbert MD, Dr Dennis Gross, Kate Somerville and Ren.
ReplyDeleteOooh, what a great idea for a page for your blog! I recently moved to San Diego, California from San Francisco, California, so I'll give recommendations for both cities:
ReplyDeleteSan Diego, California: the woman who I trust my face to for facials is Brianna, an esthetician at Re:vive Spa (1425 Frazee Road, San Diego, CA 92108, www.revivesalonandspa.com). She is a complete sweetheart, and is clearly passionate about what she does and the well-being of her clients. It's Brianna who opened my eyes to SkinMedica's Retinoid 0.5 when I turned 40, which has been a lifesaver.
San Francisco, California: Kristina Holey's all-natural cleansing facials are THE BOMB. Her space is located at 864 Post Street, San Francisco, and her website is kristinaholey.com.
Living in Fresno, 2 hours from anywhere ;), Loved post and would like to try either on a vacation. Also agree SkinMedica is AMAZING !
DeleteJust another reason to love your posts, Caroline! I live between Los Angeles & Orange County so any recommendation from you or other readers is greatly appreciated. We need you out here Caroline!!
ReplyDeleteCaroline I shop on Violet Grey and Beautylish website where they have high end brands and some lower end ones and each product gets approved by their team! It's my favourite beauty store online
ReplyDeleteHi Caroline,
ReplyDeleteWould love to know your favourite clinical/ dos brands. I totally agree that they don't seem to have as much traction and aren't features on beauty blogs/ forums as high street brands.
I've given Guinot a go, which was lovely, but stopped as moved back to high st products with anti-oxidents etc. Sadly missed out on your facials but love going so excited to see new suggestions as I really believe in a good one.
I second that!
DeleteThere's never reviews for clinical brands and their usually more expensive so I don't want to waste my money on something that might not even work for me..
Potting Shed Spa at Redbrick Mill in Batley, West Yorkshire is one of the best treatment rooms I have been to in the world. Also their sister spa, Easthorpe Hall in Mirfield is likewise fantastic. In Sheffield spa 1877 is lovely. In Marrakech Salle de Bains Marrakech is good (but beware the massages, not recommended as very firm) and the Rose Hamman/ spa in dal el basha in the northern end of Marrakech.
ReplyDeleteHi from Berlin! I don't have a good facial recommendation but I know the absolut best waxing lady in Berlin: Tigerlily and her naked friends. The owner Lauréne is not only terribly nice but also highly skilled. The studio is beautiful and very berlin-y. Address: Kantstr. 108 (have some asian food afterwards), www.tigerlily-waxing.de
ReplyDeleteYou must visit Jo at 33 Dowanhill in Glasgow, her signature facials are fantastic! She has really helped with my hormonal acne, and her product recommendations are always spot on- no pun intended! Plus she is the loveliest person 😊
ReplyDeleteHi Caroline- love the new branch you're taking with the site.
ReplyDeleteWould love good where to go for facials stateside- particularly Florida (I'm in Orlando). Thanks!
This may or may not be obvious for my fellow Canadians, but Shoppers Drug Mart is BOMB for finding products and brands that are tough to find elsewhere. Their website is ridiculous so if you are trying to search online where to buy these brands, it seems like either they don't sell the brand, or they don't sell some of the products, but they DO, you just have to go in and look. They stock: Indeed Labs, Nip + Fab, Neostrata, Avene, Bioderma, La Roche-Posay, Vichy, Soap & Glory, Rodial, Korres, and a lot of the other big brands at both high and lower price points.
ReplyDeleteYes! Only thing I've noticed is that sometimes things Caroline mentions from these lines either aren't available or called something different. Caroline: You often mention differences in formulations/labeling between the UK / USA versions, but it would be great to get some info on the Canadian formulations as well.
DeleteHi Lise Grier. I totally understand where your coming from. I am a Canadian from Quebec. So frustrating when you hear of these amazing products but you can't find in your country. Good thing I end up going to the US at times and hopefully I can find them there.
DeleteHi Caroline, sorry this isn't what you've asked for but I'd love it if a search option could be added. I often want to search for a product before I purchase to check it has the Hirons seal of approval and it's always a bit tricky at the moment. Otherwise it all sounds amazing and please keep doing what you're doing. Xx
ReplyDeleteThere's a search button over there on the right mate! ---> :)
DeleteFace etc.. In York is fab! Really professional, great facials and brilliantly knowledgeable therapists. Sound advice without the hard sell. If you're a Spacenk fan - go to Leeds, Harrogate or Manchester but give York a miss! Very poor service which is odd for the brand! York's Fenwicks, Browns and John Lewis are recommended for all your usual high street brands.
ReplyDeleteI'd definitely recommend the English Rose salon in Basingstoke...they use Epicuran products and their A lister facial is amazing.
ReplyDeleteHi all,
ReplyDeleteDoes anyone know of a good facialist in London for someone in their early 20s, dealing with acne scars, and slightly on a budget? Not forgetting extractions! Desperate for suggestions. Please and thank you!
Going to toot my own horn since you said so, I'm a brilliant facialist based in Dallas! ha. I work for a spa that's voted as "the best of" by readers of a local magazine. If I'm shopping UK I buy through Cult Beauty, and as an esthetician I typically avoid Sephora and Ulta. I'm a spoiled brat now and turn my nose up to most brands they carry. The sales associates never seem to know what they're talking about. If I'm in store I tend to trust the women behind the counter of a high end department store, within reason. Online I just shop for the best deal, stacking coupons: Dermstore, LovelySkin, Skinstore. I would say my biggest resource for finding product is through other Esthi friends. As far as facials, I feature facialists/spas on my blog every time I travel... could potentially be helpful in your venture. Your "where to shop" feature will be helpful for me. International ladies ask where they can buy American brands I mention and sometimes I come to a loss. Congrats on the movement :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on everything going on! Faithful reader and tea convert. What I need? For some lovely Chicago ladies to recommend good facialists that will how to say it "pummel" my face. safe and happy weekend everyone.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your site, Caroline. As a resource it is amazing! I have found several fantastic products through your research and avoided a couple of duds.
ReplyDeleteIn Sydney I adore Manic Cure in Camperdown. Nerida does amazing facials using dermaviduals products. I've been a loyal customer for 15+ years. Tried other places but always return to MC
ReplyDeleteI can recommend Tara - Spa Fusion in South Tyneside, she's a lovely lady takes a holistic approach to skincare and has really helped my skin over the years.
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! Especially love the global locations, I can't wait for the Aussie recommendations for facials! In Australia we have Mecca which stocks higher end products (like Space NK, stocks Sunday Riley, Origins, Kate Sommerville, Darphin), Priceline (our version of Boots almost, they stock Nivea, Antipodes, Le Roche Posay, Hylamide, Neostrata AND every six months or so they do a flash sale of 40% off all skincare! Then we have Myer/David Jones department stores for all you high end needs, think Selfridges beauty hall. Thanks for working so hard on making such a useful resource for us all! Much appreciated!!!
ReplyDeleteI would highly recommend Jo at 33 Dowanhill in Glasgow. She focuses purely on facials and uses many different types of skincare brands. Her massage technique is amazing. Well worth a try! www.33dowanhill.com
ReplyDeleteIf anyone recommends a great facialist in Hull or nearby, please post this!
ReplyDeleteHayley Capey is a very good facialist at Lift Beauty Clinic in Ipswich Suffolk. I had an amazing facial with Hayley, very thorough, massaged and relaxing. XX
ReplyDeleteI would like to see some suggestion fot Canada ? Anyone in Montreal or Toronto ?
ReplyDeleteI have been visiting Jo at the Anti Aging Clinic in St Albans for years, thoroughly recommend the salon as she always takes into consideration my skin needs over the month and has improved my skin greatly. They always seem to be up to date with the latest products out there too.
ReplyDeleteI currently live in Madison, Wisconsin (United States) and have had such a hard time finding a really awesome facialist. At this point, I will probably resort to traveling somewhere for one. I think Chicago would be an amazing middle ground for you to visit so that those of us that aren't on the coasts get a chance to see you as well. Can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this Caroline!! I get facials off and on in Calgary, Canada at Babor Beauty Spa (they are a German chain is my understanding). I always walk out of the facials ready for sleep as I am so relaxed I always end up passed out on my couch. :p I also love buying natural beauty products online from The Detox Market located in Toronto, Canada. They seem like a really nice group who always leave such lovely notes in my orders :)
ReplyDeleteMy "skin doctor" recommended I do a two-month Obagi treatment to resurface my skin and get rid of some acne scars.
ReplyDeleteIf you have heard about it or have done it, please let me know what you think.
I need convincing ;)
I tend to shop in Manchester as it's where I'm from. Loving the blog and now I just have to start saving to afford some of these beautiful products (as I've just graduated, money isn't exactly in abundance right now...)
ReplyDeleteI am a (freelance) facialist in Munich, Germany. Ex Space NK and Sunday Riley. I don't have any fancy pants machines unfortunately but if you're after good massage and extractions I'm your gal. I'm not affiliated with any brands, I just use whatever's right for your skin from a mix of brands, mostly space nk/cult beauty type brands. I won't be doing facials nov 16 till about feb 17 as I will be about to give birth/have a new born. If anyone is in the area and wants to give me a shout my email address is divyathompson@yahoo.co.uk :)
ReplyDeletep.s thanks for allowing shameless self promotion in your comments Caroline!
Can highly recommend a wonderful facialist in Oxfordshire... Victoria Partridge at the Lavender Room. Having discovered her after a recommendation, I would never go anywhere else now (even though its an hour and half round trip for me!!!). She's not tied to any specific brands and only uses products perfectly tailored for you – or your skin on that particular consultation. Best of all is the signature facial massage, which is just incredible!
ReplyDeleteIf anybody has any suggestions for where to get a decent and not outrageously expensive/bougie facial in Paris, help a lady out! I've lived here four years but I'm still getting my face done on trips home to Dublin. The pollution in Paris is AWFUL, and my skincare routine needs backup!
ReplyDeleteOn Caroline's suggestion, I went to Anne Simonin and had a wonderful bespoke facial for 100€. She is in the 2ème.
DeleteThe space is beautiful Caroline!!! Let me know when you want the Napa / San Francisco low down. xoxo, april / vintner's daughter
ReplyDeleteI am very into Korean skincare and really like the site BeautynetKorea.com - I've ordered from them many times with no problems. Shipping is free and takes around 10 days to arrive in the UK. Their range is comprehensive but not so huge it's overwhelming. I also like TesterKorea.com because they have a wide range of sample sizes so you can try stuff out, plus they have more brands than BNK. Jolse.com is another one that's great for free shipping, plus they always chuck in lots of samples.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of physical shops, we have a lot more than you might realise in Brighton. I wrote up a kind of walk through all the beauty shops in Brighton as there are TONS. Hope it's OK to link, apologies if not http://opposablethumbsblog.com/2016/04/beauty-shopping-in-brighton.html
Hi, I live in Paris, and the best place I have found to buy the products that you recommend here on the blog is Oh My Cream just behind the church of St Sulpice. They have Sunday Riley, Tata Harper, RMS Beauty, Alpha H and much more, with lovely helpful service and a great website (also in English!) Just down the rue Bonaparte (corner of rue du Four) is an amazing French pharmacy, Citypharma (I'm sure you know this one), with all the traditional French brands but cheaper than anywhere else. Just be prepared to get your elbows out as it's always packed...
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing info about Oh My Cream! That's brilliant news.
Deleteplease add Houston to the list, thank you!
ReplyDeleteFrom Aussie i strongly recommend checking out Sodashi the most beautiful skincare line with lovely helpful staff (Id love to hear your thoughts Caroline!). I've heard they do gorgeous facials too. Its a pricey line though and i can never find their products on sale. Available on Sodashi site as well as a great beauty site Adorebeauty (who do have great sales and samples with purchase). We also claim rights to Jurlique (love their nourishing cleansing oil and skin balancing oil). And Alpha H is ours too :) Only other places here are Mecca (who sell my beloved Nude and the likes of Sunday Riley) and Myer for Estee Lauder, Clarins etc. Online nourishedlife.com.au sell Pai, iamnaturalstore.com.au sell Tata harper. I have never had a facial but in Sydney Jocelyn Petroni and a lady called Natasha in Double Bay get great reviews, I've wanted to try one of them for ages!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCan anybody recommend a good Facialist or place to go for a good facial in Manchester please?x
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteVictoria Partridge from the Lavender Room in Oxfordshire, I think deserves a huge recommendation! Her facials are more like bespoke facial workouts where you come away feeling like a big difference has been made to your skin (unlike a lot of other facials I have been for, where you get smothered in a selection of 'one size fits all' products and gently patted!)
ReplyDeleteVictoria's facial massage is amazing and her aftercare advice is brilliant and has made all the difference. I have struggled with my skin for years, but since meeting Victoria my skin looks completely different. Credit where credits due....she's ace!
In the Highlands of Scotland so no point asking as there are no facial experts here, have to travel 300 miles to Glasgow to get anything decent sadly. However online shopping is my life saver and have been enjoying Victoria Health and Deciem just now. Other than that I do all my shopping online in US and have it shipped here.
ReplyDeleteHi Caroline,
ReplyDeleteFor facials in Belgium I would recommend Rainpharma in Antwerp. I love there products and above their shop you can facials and massages, at the back a good pedicure.
For shopping I would suggest Fin du Jour in Kortrijk and Ghent, but also Cosmeticary is a little beautyheaven.
Love,Tessa!
Just an amazing facial at the hungry hair and spa by Janna. My face felt like velvet and hag such a healthy glow that it was hard not to just admire. :/, sorry not vain. She used Sothy's skincentuals and neocutis on me. It was heaven! Would love a review on Sothy. Loved it but advice is always welcome. I usually have acne oily skin but have became dry since starting glycolics.
ReplyDeleteThanks
Sorry forgot to mention, living in Fresno , CA and spa is in the Fig garden shopping ctr.
ReplyDelete