Detox products.
Detox creams.
Detox teas.
Detox pads for your feet.
Detox hair straighteners.
Enough. If your body was 'full of toxins' you would at best, be very ill and at worst, dead. See: septicemia.
The word 'detox' belongs in a hospital or drug-dependency unit.
If you mean 'keep yourself as healthy as possible' then...
- keep hydrated - with water. Diet coke doesn't count people.
- don't smoke
- eat well
- exercise (or just go for a bloody walk/have a good regular stretching session)
- get enough sunshine or supplement with vitamin D
Leave the rest to your lungs, kidneys, skin and liver.*
Stop hijacking the word to sell more product.
*Obviously if any of those are compromised in you, my apologies, I'm not referring to you. That's what doctors are for.





If you find drinking water boring, I really recommend herbal teas - peppermint and fennel have done wonders for my IBS! x
ReplyDeleteI agree! Lemon balm tea also does wonders if you are feeling stressed too x
Deletehaha, loved this post! the amount of 'detox' focused emails i've had in my inbox so far has been a joke!
ReplyDeleteDetox pads for your feet! Whatever next?
ReplyDeleteOr go for no 1, sweat a lot and the "toxins" are out. Then top up on water again. It's not a rocket science... Simples Mirka cmuck
ReplyDeleteI never understood why people think that they can detox through a cleanser or mask. Um no.
ReplyDeleteAllison from www.mercuteify.com
Bravo for the post! I also believe that "detox" was an abused and over-used notion recently, taking the focus from the basic common knowledge on what should one do to keep healthy.
ReplyDeleteAmen sister!
ReplyDeleteHehehehe love the gifs!
ReplyDeleteAnd yeah, you would think that our insides were black and rotting by how much blogs/magazines/your neighbour from 3A go on about detox!
Amen! On another note, I've seen you've written about Paula Begoun before and just want to ask how much you would consider her reviews when buying natural/organic skin care products? Paula and her team completely slashes brands like REN, Decleor, and Tata Harper (that I've seen you're using) in the Beautypedia. What's your take on that?
ReplyDeleteThanks for a great blog! :)
They certainly seem to hate most things. I don't. That's my take. ☺️
DeleteAs ever, my response to the word 'detox' is a shocked 'I didn't know you were coming off heroin!' It normally gets a confused face, to which I go 'but you said you were detoxing. that's what the word means...'
ReplyDeleteThat made me laugh so hard!
ReplyDeleteI am a physician, and sometimes reading the claims on products is just too much.
LindaLibraLoca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking
I love you for this post even more then I already did. I always suspected that my body could not just be a mere walking container of toxins ;)
ReplyDeleteLove this! And perfectly timed too!
ReplyDeletewww.peonyandpeach.blogspot.com
You need to publish the Caroline Hirons bible! Love this!!!
ReplyDeleteI hate the juice cleanses that claim to detoxify as well. I'm sure your body can get rid of something you ingested if it's bad for you!
ReplyDeleteBless you Ms Hirons you wonderful lady you!
ReplyDeletex
Becoming Becca
HAHAHAHAHA I read this and the next minute an eMail floats in my inbox and guess what it says?
ReplyDeleteDetox needed - ASAP.
yeah right. don't let the hirons read this.
I love reading your blog Caroline, your no nonsense and straight to the point writing style is perfect!
ReplyDeleteWell said! x
ReplyDeletehttp://my--socalledlife.blogspot.com.es/
Part of me wishes you went into more detail, the rest of me loves that you kept it concise. Regardless, I love it. Hope 2014 is treating you well! xo
ReplyDeleteAMEN. A.M.E.N. amenamenamenamenamen A TO THE MEN.
ReplyDeleteCaroline, absolutely love your blog, you've helped my skin so much a thank you doesn't seem like enough!
ReplyDeleteI always "loved" this time of year working as a pharmacist when people wanted a recommendation on a "cleanse". I wouldn't suggest anything corporate brought in and suggested maybe think about quitting smoking...working at hospital is so much more rewarding!
An interesting article from a colleague: https://twitter.com/PharmacistScott/status/550831116555661312